Wednesday, September 23, 2009

What's a mother to do???

WARNING! This is a long one. I need to vent, get it all out.

Tuesday after school I took the boys to get their hair cut.
Well as you can see Britton climbed right up in the chair and sat still. He even got blue gel spikes too. He knew he would get a reward for doing well at the "Haircut Place" as we call it.
My other son? Well he absolutely refused to get a hair cut. Let me just start by saying we went to the restroom after writing their names down and the minute we opened the door, there was this stylist standing there waiting for Ethan. "Are you Ethan?" She asks. Takes him by the hand and leads him to a chair. Let me also ad- she was not the friendliest and she was a big girl (to put it nicely) with a manly voice. I have to say I might have been frightened too at 4 years old. This totally set him off. He melted down, he whaled the entire time Britton got his haircut. I told them we would have to come back for his haircut and I waited in shame for his behavior while Britton behaved so well.
This episode didn't end when we left the salon. He refused to get into the car. It was a battle of wills at this point. I tried to explain to him in a calm voice that I got his point, he didn't want a haircut. So lets get in the car and go home. Britton got a reward and Ethan didn't. He had decided he wanted a haircut after all and wouldn't calm down because I told him we would have to come back another day. (Believe me I was tempted to go back in-after all we were already there. Let's get it over with right?) But I couldn't let him get his way. I had to be strong.
I wrestled him into his seat and we proceeded home, Ethan kicking and screaming all the way. By this point I wanted to pull over and @%*!@#& but I just drove home. I let him out of the car and went into the house. Remember we live out in the country. He wasn't in any danger to be outside for a few minutes alone.
I put my things down, counted to 10 and went to check on him. Still screaming and crying, my son had moved towards a big puddle of mud and was relieving all his stress. (See video below). I figured, what else should I do but let him unwind. I watched from a distance and he didn't even know I was there. This is a part of Ethan I have seen quite a few times but it has been soo long since I have seen a fit this BAD!
After about 10 minutes, my sweet baby came to the door and said he was ready to come in. I undressed him at the door and took him to the tub. What did he get out of all this? A warm bath and 4 minutes in time out. We talked about who was going to buy him some new shoes? (He would have to save his dollar every week till he had enough), and about taking care of our hair and keeping it trimmed.
This morning on the way to school I asked Ethan (my sweet Ethan, all rested and happy) if he wanted to go after school and get a haircut, if he wanted a reward like Britton got? He said yes. Then I told him I would take him after school. I made sure to bring a snack after school and we went to the salon. Thankfully he got a different stylist.
None of the ladies could believe this was the same kid that was with me the day before! He was soo good. Night and day I tell you! He was even better than the everyday Ethan we all know and love. He was an angel. I can't even express how good he was. So I ask, what's a mother to do?

Hang in there! That's what!

1 comment:

Melissa said...

You are such a good mom!!! I would have been mortified in the salon and holding back the tears, and yelling at the top of my lungs at him once we were in the car or at home. Way to go for keeping your cool in the mist of his meltdown!!!! You are SUPER MOM!!!! :) Kids just have their own way of doing things.... He looks super cute though with his new haircut!!

Britton

Ethan

Riley

Reagan

Our Wedding Anniversary.