Sunday, October 4, 2009

One Last Trip!

Our last summer trip was actually our first trip to the beach this summer. This summer went by so fast. I kind of worked a lot and at the last minute we decided that since I had a Saturday off we should head down to the coast.

We went to Port Aransas. It was about a 3 hour drive and it was heaven. The weather was perfect. We couldn't have planned it better.
We had to drive to the Gulf and take a ferry across to the Island.


In the rush to get out of the house we forgot our sand toys so we promised the boys we would stop somewhere to get some. There was no way we were driving past this store. They were bound to have sand toys.
After a quick picnic on the tailgate, we slathered up (and boy did we slather), then we hit the sand.


It was funny, they just plopped down first thing, not realizing that there was a whole beach down a little way with water and waves and even more sand.

We convinced the boys to gather everything up and move closer to the water.



The longer we were there the more they got in the water.


It was a blast. Did I mention the weather was perfect?









That night the boys looked out the window at the hotel and noticed the pool was lit up green and blue. We just HAD to go swimming in the dark.





After going back upstairs we all realized we didn't slather often enough.
I didn't get close enough under Britton's eyes. Poor thing he looked like a raccoon for 2 days.
The poor boy was so burned. When ever I see a kid that is burned I automatically think "How could someone let that happen to their kid?" I shouldn't judge because it can happen to any mommy or daddy, no matter how diligent they are. Don't worry though. I beat myself up for it for days. I finally had to let it go, I was working myself into a depression about it. I seriously have issues.
So peaceful.
We saw the Ghost busters car on our drive home. Britton went ballistic!

I do have a few little funny stories:

For one I was eating some tortilla chips and one time I bit down and it popped my permanent retainer right off of my top teeth. In 2 spots the wire was just hanging down. I thought I could make it through the weekend but it was driving me crazy and I was getting a cut on the inside of my lip. We went to the front desk and asked the clerk if they had a maintenance room or a toolbox with some needle nose pliers and wire cutters? David-the clerk- looked at us like we were nuts when I told him what we were going to do with them! Even though Eric doesn't have a license to practice dentistry I let him cut the wire off. As soon as I got back home I called the orthodontist and got in to get it fixed. $242.00!!! Crazy!

Second, we had driven down to another beach that we were thinking of going to but couldn't find a room on such short notice. We walked out to look at the water and look around a little. Eric was making a comment about the water when he looked down and his leg was covered with mosquitos. He jumped up, screamed like a girl, and we all ran back to the car! Glad we didn't stay at that beach after all.

We had a fun weekend though. Sun burn but not too many mosquito bites.

2 comments:

Melissa said...

OH, Lisa, i have the same thing happen to me and my kids all the time with the sunburn thing! No matter how diligent I think I am with the sunscreen, someone ALWAYS ends up sunburned at least a little. I have had many "raccoon" sunburns just like that on my boys. All you can do it do your best to keep sunscreen on! Looks like such a fun little trip!!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a fun and eventful time...wish I could have been there to enjoy it too.

It reminds me of when we were all together in Floriday...I miss those days.

I miss you guys lots.

Britton

Ethan

Riley

Reagan

Our Wedding Anniversary.